Sunday 3 October 2010

Looking at Stephen Shore, Martin Parr and John Davis's Work.

In my tutors notes regarding my work for assignment 3 he'd included some photographers that he thought i might find helpful to have a look at so here goes.


STEPHEN SHORE.

What i like about his work where he includes people within his landscapes is that they feel very unobtrusive for example in his photos called Runners and his People in the water- Yosemite Park although he is capturing a moment in time it doesn't feel staged it feels quiet natural which sometimes images including people somehow feel to me. I suppose my own shot of the couple lying by the river in assignment 3 is very similar and i can understand why my tutor thought I'd find his work appealing. Another thing i found different about his work was the way that while travelling in the 70's he like to photograph everything such as the furniture in his room or what he was having for breakfast along with the landscapes he was passing through, an interesting insight but I'm not sure i really understand what he's trying to get across with some shots.



MARTIN PARR.

I'm trying to find a copy of Bad Weather but up to yet haven't managed to but the few shots I've found online i do like, what appeals to me is his use of black and white photography to add to the moodiness of the already bleak landscapes. In particular i like the ones of the man in fog and the shot from the front cover of the people out in the rain. I don't find his work as good as others that I've looked at mainly because i think it feels a little depressing (although this could be the aim) and i don't like the way he does capture anybody face there always cover over or have there back to the camera, again this maybe the point to make you feel more detached because without a face the people are lacking an identity. (hope this makes sense)



JOHN DAVIS.

His work i found the most enjoyable to study for example i lied the Victoria Promenade and Trawsfynydd Power Station shots because of the contrasts hes showing with the first being between the old and the new with the church and Power station and in the second with the way he's used the light to highlight the station within the empty untouched landscape surrounding it. In a similar way i like how he's used the light to show the ruggedness of the landscape in his shot of the Great Gable, Cumbria. My tutor said to look at how he show the relationship between man and the landscape and i think this is best shown in his collection of work on the Durham Coalfield. He really captures how human activity has altered the landscape, showing what i would describes as beauty in disorder.