Sunday 21 November 2010

Project 41- Grain.

I know it seems that I've missed out a few projects here but it isn't the case because the projects that are missing are all based around using a film camera and way of developing the film. Unfortunately this isn't something that is available to me so i haven't even attempted these, i did consider trying to produce the effects using photo software but didn't feel that this would do the projects much Justice.
This project does fall into the group I've missed out but unlike the others it does offer you the chance to create the effect on a digital camera or using photo software. Basically what I'm looking at is how changing the sensitivity can increase the amount of grain that appears within the shot. Grain is a by product of increasing the sensitivity of the camera by altering the ISO, what it appears to do is add texture throughout the frame which can add something to your shots but a lot of the time can appear to make the shot appear very noise and rough.
Original.
Above is a landscape shot taken at a ISO setting of 400. To add grain to this I'm going to use Photoshop and slowly increase the intensity so you can see how it effect the image.

Intensity 20.




Intensity 40.

These first two shots don't actually look that bad and i actually quiet like the added texture produced with the intensity of 40.


Intensity 60.


Intensity 80.




Intensity 100.

As you can see as the intensity is increased above 40 the shot becomes worse and worse until the noise is so strong that it completely ruins the original picture and makes it seem very rough looking.
This is another useful addition to my knowledge and something different to add a little more character to my work that i could use, I understand that their are still a lot of photographers out there who stick to using film cameras but I've been a little disappointed that so much of this final section in this course has focused on this field as i almost feel that I've missed out on something that might have been beneficial by the fact i couldn't attempt some of these projects.