Sunday 30 May 2010

Planning And Research For Assignment 1.

At last I've reached the point where i feel I'm ready to tackle the first assignment, what it asks you to produce is "Photograph subjects which capture the feeling of the current season" for me at this time it is spring.


To begin with i found it a little hard to find inspiration and to get a hold of what spring time actually meant to me personally, but after emailing my tutor he put me on the right track and gave me food for thought. What i did was to look more closely at how other people doing the same course had approached the different seasons and also how more established photographs approached the subject, plus i was also looking closely at the content of there work to see if this could help to develop my own approach. One of the points my tutor made to me was to understand how the light can be very important in the spring but he also said to try and avoid what he called "chocolate box" landscapes which I'd guess he means the classic lamb jumping around in daffodils.
Found it hard to find any photographers who have tackled the subject of spring in their work so what i ended up doing was looking at landscapes in general for the photographers in the list to the right (this was more to understand what makes a good landscape) and then looking on stock image websites to get an idea of what other people consider to be spring images.
The conclusion I've come to is that spring really means the return of life to landscapes, whether this means in terms of wildlife or in actual human activity it gives me some scope for what i hope to produce. I could look at how we effect/interact with the landscape at this time of year, how colour slowly returns after the dull emptiness of the winter. What ever i do must bare in mind that i got to pick some of my work to include in my final portfolio so it has to be easily assessable throughout the year so i can return to the same scene and re-shot it.