Wednesday 26 May 2010

Project 7- Figures In A Landscape.

"Figures in a landscape should be obvious enough to be seen, but not so much that they take over the image."
I don't necessarily agree with that because if a figure is large in the frame sorely this can help to give scale to the view or in the case of say a person walking away from the camera down a path this adds direction and draws you into the shot. For arguments sake and because the author of the course has far more experience then me I'll go with him but with plans to experiment more in the future.


This first photo follows the idea of keeping the figure small but obvious within the landscape (this was taken at the top of Mount Snowdon). I like the way the person was silhouetted against the sky just standing right on the edge, i tried to keep as much detail as i felt was needed but thought it works much better with very little because i like the minimalists feel. Some might argue that the figure is the focus of the shot but i don't agree because i think its actually the building in the left corner that you're first drawn to then you notice the person.






The figure in my second shot really helps to tell the story behind it. What you need to know is that the wall in front of her contains the names of every person in the Armed Forces to die since the Second World War, I felt doing it in black and white add to the very sobering mood that I'm aiming to create. If i was to change anything i would have been a little earlier shooting to avoid the shadow splitting the frame as it does but the problem is being respectful to the people morning there relatives so i had to take my chance when it came and hope for the best. I know i could have setup this shot easily but i would have known it was real and that would have lessened it somehow in my eyes.