Sunday 23 May 2010

Project 2- Horizontal vs Vertical.

The idea of this project was to encourage me to look at the shots that I'm taking and try to compose them in both a landscape format and portrait to see that i shouldn't constrain myself to one particular stile but to use both.
The above shots both work alright but I'd lean towards the landscape one because it feels more natural with the road leading you towards the house and the two figures give you good perspective. The portrait one just feels i don't know a little cropped if you get my meaning in that its maybe framed a little wrong on the right hand side and there's to much sky.

The next two I'm happy with both because the shot seems to me to work either as a landscape or portrait because again the roads lead your eye nicely through the foreground into the background.








Maybe got the composition wrong with these two as i should have included more of the field in the foreground and less of the sky. This is mainly because it would have worked better with a more stormy sky to dominate the shot but without this both feel a little lacking as there's no real depth or perspective (something that I've said before i do have problems with achieving now and again).












Final two are my favorite in this project as to me it show clearly that a scene can be made to work as either a horizontal shot or vertical if i take my time and compose them right. Again if I'm being overly critical the sky could be more interesting or better lighting conditions could have been used but that's all part of the learning process.
What i feel I've learnt from this process is that you should always when you have the time us it to try different framing techniques to see how it effects the scene, I'll more then likely say this many times but patients is something my photography is lacking at times, I'm always afraid i might be missing a better shot just round the corner and by rushing on don't always make the most of the scene before me.